Actonel With Calcium Dosage
Your Actonel With Calcium dosage will be based on factors such as whether you are taking other medications or have other medical conditions. Typically, the Actonel tablets are taken once a week, while the calcium tablets are taken on the other six days of the week. It's important to take your Actonel With Calcium dosage exactly as your healthcare provider recommends to ensure a safe treatment process.
Actonel With Calcium Dosage: An Introduction
(Actonel With Calcium has been discontinued by its manufacturer. Other forms of Actonel are still available. See the appropriate Actonel articles within eMedTV.com for more information about this medication.)
The dose of Actonel® With Calcium (risedronate and calcium) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Actonel With Calcium dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Actonel With Calcium Dosage for OsteoporosisThe recommended dose of Actonel With Calcium for the treatment or prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women is one Actonel 35 mg tablet (the orange tablet) once a week and one calcium carbonate 1250 mg tablet (the blue tablet) once daily on the other six days of the week. Each calcium carbonate tablet is equivalent to 500 mg of plain calcium, which is less than the daily recommendation (usually 1200 mg of plain calcium each day). If you do not get enough calcium through your diet, your healthcare provider may recommend that you take a calcium supplement.
General Information on Dosing With Actonel With CalciumConsiderations for people taking Actonel With Calcium include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken every day. The Actonel tablets are taken once a week, while the calcium tablets are taken on the other six days of the week. Never take the calcium tablet with the Actonel tablet at the same time.
- For the Actonel tablets (the orange tablets):
- Actonel must be taken first thing in the morning at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least 30 minutes after taking the medication before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications. Food, beverages, and medications can interact with Actonel and prevent it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take Actonel with a full glass of plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water). You should follow the dose with at least a quarter of a cup of plain water.
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. You must not lie down until you have waited at least 30 minutes after the dose and after you have eaten something. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent Actonel from irritating your esophagus.
- For the calcium tablets (the blue tablets): The calcium tablets should be taken with food once daily on the other six days of the week.
- You need to make sure that you get enough vitamin D while taking Actonel With Calcium, as the medication cannot build bone without it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Actonel With Calcium will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Actonel With Calcium or your Actonel With Calcium dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.