Dose of Actonel for Paget's DiseaseA higher dose is required for the treatment of Paget's disease -- Actonel 30 mg once daily for two months. If necessary, your healthcare provider may recommend retreatment after monitoring your disease for two months after stopping the drug.
General Information on Dosing With ActonelConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Actonel include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. Depending on the dose, it is taken by mouth daily, weekly, or monthly. When taken monthly, one tablet is taken daily for two days in a row each month.
- Your Actonel dosage must be taken first thing in the morning at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least 30 minutes after taking the medication before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications (including calcium). Food, beverages, and medications can interact with Actonel and prevent it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take the medication with plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water).
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking a dose of Actonel. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent the drug from irritating your esophagus.
- You need to make sure that you get enough calcium and vitamin D while taking Actonel, as the drug cannot build bone without calcium and vitamin D.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Actonel, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.