The dose of Actonel a person is prescribed will depend on several factors, including the condition being treated. For example, when treating osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, there are a few different options: daily, weekly, or monthly dosages. For men with osteoporosis that is not caused by steroids, the recommended amount is 35 mg, taken once a week.
An Introduction to Dosing With ActonelThe dose of Actonel® (risedronate sodium) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you prefer to take Actonel daily, weekly, or monthly
- Whether you are treating or preventing osteoporosis or treating Paget's disease
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Actonel Dosage for Postmenopausal OsteoporosisThere are four different dosing options when using Actonel for preventing or treating osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, including:
- Actonel 5 mg once daily
- Actonel 35 mg once weekly
- Actonel 75 mg per day for two days in a row each month (although this strength has been discontinued by the manufacturer)
- Actonel 150 mg on one day each month.