As with all medications, it is possible to take too much Actonel. Overdose symptoms will depend on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was taken with other drugs. However, common symptoms include ulcers, heartburn, and low calcium levels in the blood. If you think you have taken an Actonel overdose, it is important to seek immediate medical attention.
Actonel Overdose: An IntroductionActonel® (risedronate sodium) is a medication that is approved for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. It is also approved to treat Paget's disease of the bone. It belongs to a group of medications known as bisphosphonates. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Actonel. The specific effects of an Actonel overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Actonel dosage and whether it was taken with other medications or substances.
Treatment for an Actonel OverdoseThe treatment for an Actonel overdose will also vary. Because the medication can be irritating to the esophagus, vomiting should not be induced. Drinking milk or taking antacids can help to bind Actonel in the stomach so that it cannot be absorbed into the bloodstream. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Actonel overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Giving fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Giving calcium by IV to correct low calcium levels
- Administering other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Actonel.