If you take too much Binosto (alendronate effervescent tablet), overdose symptoms may occur, such as fever, vomiting, and indigestion. The effects will vary from person to person, depending on how much Binosto was taken and whether it was combined with other substances. Treatment options include drinking milk or taking antacids and receiving supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Binosto?
Binosto™ (alendronate effervescent tablet) is a prescription medication used in men and women with osteoporosis. As with other medications, it is possible to take too much Binosto. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Binosto dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Overdose
Possible symptoms of an overdose with Binosto may include:
- Low blood calcium levels
- Low blood phosphate levels
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Irritation of the stomach and esophagus
- Ulcers in the stomach and esophagus
- Burning, pricking, or numbness of the skin
- Low blood pressure.
Treatment Options for a Binosto Overdose
Treatment for someone who takes too much Binosto may vary. Because the drug is particularly irritating to the stomach and esophagus, vomiting is not used to treat an overdose. Dialysis is not expected to be useful either.
Milk or antacids may be given in the case of an overdose to bind to Binosto in the stomach and prevent the drug from being absorbed into the bloodstream. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of relieving the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, a person will be monitored for low blood calcium and phosphate, as well as for stomach ulcers and bleeding. Intravenous (IV) calcium may be given if low calcium levels occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe you or someone else may have taken a Binosto overdose.