Bone Density Scan
A bone density scan is recommended for the following people:
- Those with one or more additional osteoporosis risk factors (besides menopause)
- Those who have had a fracture (broken bone); a bone density scan can help determine if osteoporosis was the underlying cause
- Those who are age 65 or older
- Those who are considering therapy for osteoporosis (if a bone density scan will help make this decision)
- Those who have been on hormone replacement therapy for prolonged periods.