Evista Dosage: An Introduction
There is only one standard dose of Evista®
hydrochloride), regardless of your age, weight, or other medical conditions or medications. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Evista Dosing for Osteoporosis or Breast Cancer
Evista is approved to prevent and treat osteoporosis
in postmenopausal women. It is also approved to lower the risk of breast cancer
in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis, as well as postmenopausal women who are high risk for breast cancer. No matter what the use, the recommended dose is Evista 60 mg once daily.
If you are taking Evista for osteoporosis treatment
or prevention, it is important that you get enough calcium
and vitamin D. Typically, most postmenopausal women need 1500 mg of calcium per day (divided into three smaller doses) and 400 to 800 international units (IU) of vitamin D per day. Some women (such as the elderly or chronically ill) may need even more vitamin D.
General Information on Dosing With Evista
Considerations for people taking Evista include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Evista with or without food.
- You can take Evista any time of the day, although it is best to take it at the same time each day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Evista will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Evista or your Evista dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.