Evista Side Effects
In clinical studies, common side effects of Evista included hot flashes, flu-like symptoms, joint pain, and water retention. Side effects of this medication are usually mild and easily treated. However, some side effects are potentially serious. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you experience unexplained uterine bleeding, a sudden rash or swelling, or signs of a stroke.
An Introduction to Evista Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Evista® (raloxifene hydrochloride); however, not everyone who takes the drug will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Evista. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Evista side effects with you.)
Common Side EffectsEvista has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Evista included:
- Hot flashes -- in up to 28.7 percent of people
- Joint pain -- up to 15.5 percent
- Flu-like symptoms (such as fever, chills, and body aches) -- up to 14.6 percent
- Swelling or water retention in the lower legs, ankles, or feet -- up to 14.1 percent
- Muscle spasms or leg cramps -- up to 12.1 percent
- Infections -- up to 11 percent
- Sinus infection -- up to 10.3 percent.
Other common Evista side effects (occurring in 2 to 10 percent of people) included:
- Weight gain (see Evista and Weight Gain)
- Muscle pain
- Insomnia (see Evista and Insomnia)
- Vaginal discharge