When treating osteoporosis, the recommended Forteo dosage is 20 mcg injected once daily just under the skin in the abdomen or thigh. Make sure you understand how to give yourself the injections before starting treatment. You can take your Forteo dose at any time of the day, but you should take it at the same time each day.
Forteo Dosage: An Introduction
There is only one recommended dose of Forteo™ (teriparatide), regardless of your age, weight, or other medical conditions. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Forteo Dosage for OsteoporosisThe recommended dose of Forteo for osteoporosis treatment is 20 mcg injected once daily just under the skin in the abdomen (lower stomach area) or thigh. Currently, people are not recommended to take Forteo for more than two years, since the drug has not been studied for long-term use.
General Information on Dosing With Forteo
Considerations for people taking Forteo include the following:
- The medication comes in injectable form. It is injected once daily just under the skin in the abdomen (lower stomach area) or thigh.
- You can take Forteo with or without food. You can take the drug at any time of the day, but it is a good idea to take it at the same time each day.
- Your healthcare provider should teach you exactly how to inject Forteo. Make sure you understand how to give yourself the injections.
- You should be sitting down when you give yourself your first few Forteo injections in case you get dizzy.
- You should use a new needle for each dose of Forteo.
- Each Forteo pen can be used for only 28 days after the first use. You must discard the pen after 28 days, even if there is some medicine left in it.
- You need to make sure that you get enough calcium and vitamin D while taking Forteo, as the drug cannot build bone without these substances.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Forteo will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Forteo or your Forteo dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.