Fortical and Dry Mouth
There is a potential risk of developing side effects while taking Fortical. Dry mouth is a rare but possible side effect, occurring in less than 1 percent of people taking the medication. If you are using Fortical and dry mouth develops, you can try avoiding caffeinated drinks, tobacco or alcohol, and spicy or salty foods. Your healthcare provider can also recommend artificial saliva.
Fortical® (calcitonin salmon nasal spray) has several possible side effects. One of these side effects is a dry mouth, although it is not a common problem. In clinical studies, less than 1 percent of people taking calcitonin salmon (the active ingredient of Fortical) reported having a dry mouth.
If you are taking Fortical and dry mouth occurs, there are a few things that you can do that may provide relief. Some of these suggestions include the following:
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier; it may also improve the taste of food.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol because they dry out the mouth.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods because they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
If you develop a dry mouth while taking Fortical and the suggestions in this article do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. He or she may be able to recommend other treatments, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on how severe your dry mouth is, he or she may recommend that you adjust your Fortical dosage or try another osteoporosis medicine.