Fosamax Plus D Dosage
The recommended Fosamax Plus D dosage for most people with osteoporosis is 70 mg/5600 IU once a week. Some people may require less vitamin D and may only need 70 mg/2800 IU once weekly. Be sure to take your Fosamax Plus D dose on the same day each week, at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything in the morning.
The dose of Fosamax Plus D™ (alendronate and cholecalciferol) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Fosamax Plus D dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Fosamax Plus D Dosage for OsteoporosisThe recommended dose of Fosamax Plus D for most people with osteoporosis is 70 mg/5600 IU once a week. However, your healthcare provider may instead recommend a dose with less vitamin D (Fosamax Plus D 70 mg/2800 IU once a week).
Considerations for people taking Fosamax Plus D include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form that is taken once weekly, on the same day each week.
- Fosamax Plus D must be taken first thing in the morning at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least 30 minutes after taking the medication before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications. Food, beverages, and medications can interact with Fosamax Plus D and prevent it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take Fosamax Plus D with a full glass of plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water).
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. You must not lie down until you have waited at least 30 minutes after the dose and after you have eaten something. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent Fosamax Plus D from irritating your esophagus.
- You need to make sure that you get enough calcium while taking Fosamax Plus D, as the drug cannot build bone without it. Because each Fosamax Plus D tablet contains a week's worth of vitamin D, you do not need to take any additional vitamin D.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Fosamax Plus D will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Fosamax Plus D or your Fosamax Plus D dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.