Fosamax Plus D
Fosamax Plus D is typically used for the treatment of osteoporosis in men and postmenopausal women. It is a combination medicine that works by binding to certain cells in bones and slowing down the rate at which they break down. The medication comes in tablet form and is generally taken once a week. Possible side effects include abdominal pain, indigestion, and muscle pain.
Fosamax Plus D™ (alendronate and cholecalciferol) is a prescription medication approved to treat osteoporosis in men and postmenopausal women.
Fosamax Plus D is made by Merck & Co., Inc.
Fosamax Plus D contains two medications: alendronate (Fosamax®) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D). Alendronate belongs to a group of medications known as bisphosphonates. The drug binds to certain cells in the bones and slows down the rate at which they break down. Cholecalciferol is a vitamin that is important for healthy bones and is necessary in order for alendronate to be effective.
General considerations for when and how to take Fosamax Plus D include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken once weekly, on the same day each week.
- Fosamax Plus D must be taken first thing in the morning at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least 30 minutes after taking the medication before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications. Food, beverages, and medications can interact with Fosamax Plus D and prevent it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take Fosamax Plus D with a full glass of plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water).
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. You must not lie down until you have waited at least 30 minutes after the dose and after you have eaten something. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent Fosamax Plus D from irritating your esophagus.
- You need to make sure that you get enough calcium while taking Fosamax Plus D, as the medicine cannot build bone without it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Fosamax Plus D will not work if you stop taking it.