Osteoporosis Home > Atelvia
When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Atelvia include the following:
- The medication comes in delayed-release tablet form. It is taken once a week, just after breakfast.
- Do not take Atelvia on an empty stomach, as this greatly increases the chance of stomach pain (abdominal pain).
- Swallow the tablets whole with at least four ounces of water while sitting or standing upright. Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking a dose of this medication. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent the drug from irritating your esophagus.
- You need to make sure you get enough calcium and vitamin D while taking the medication, as it cannot build bone without these substances. However, these supplements should be taken at a different time of the day, at least on the days that you take Atelvia.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.