Osteoporosis Home > Binosto Side Effects
Nausea, indigestion, and constipation are some of the more common side effects reported with Binosto. In most cases, the medication is generally well tolerated and reactions that occur are usually minor. However, serious problems can also occur. For example, notify your healthcare provider immediately if you develop severe heartburn, jaw or tooth problems, or difficulty swallowing.
An Introduction to Binosto Side Effects
As with any medicine, Binosto™ (alendronate effervescent tablet) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the drug will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Binosto. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Binosto
Binosto has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people receiving the drug were documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group given a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common Binosto side effects included:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain -- in up to 6.6 percent of people
- Bone, muscle, or joint pain -- up to 4.1 percent
- Acid reflux -- up to 4.1 percent
- Gas -- up to 4.1 percent
- Nausea -- up to 3.6 percent
- Indigestion -- up to 3.6 percent
- Constipation -- up to 3.1 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3.1 percent
- Headache -- up to 2.6 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 0.5 percent to 1.5 percent of people, may include:
- Swelling of the stomach (a distended stomach)
- Muscle cramps
- Ulcers in the esophagus or stomach
- Difficulty swallowing
- Inflammation of the lining of the stomach
- Changes in taste.