Osteoporosis Home > Boniva Overdose
If you take too much Boniva, overdose symptoms may occur, such as heartburn or indigestion, upset stomach, and ulcers. The effects of an overdose will vary from person to person, depending on how much Boniva was taken and whether it was taken with other drugs or alcohol. Common treatment options for a Boniva overdose include drinking milk or taking antacids and receiving supportive care.
Boniva® (ibandronate sodium) is a medication that is approved for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. It belongs to a group of medications known as bisphosphonates. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Boniva. The specific effects of a Boniva overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Boniva dosage and whether it was taken with other medicines, alcohol, or street drugs.
Some commonly reported symptoms of a Boniva overdose include:
The treatment for a Boniva overdose will also vary. Because the medication is irritating to the esophagus, vomiting should not be induced. Drinking milk or taking antacids can help to bind Boniva in the stomach so that it cannot be absorbed into the bloodstream. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Boniva overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Boniva.