Osteoporosis Home > Boniva
- The medication comes in tablet form that is taken once monthly. Depending on the dose, it can be taken either daily or monthly. It also comes in an injectable form that is given by IV once every three months.
- Boniva must be taken in the morning at least one hour before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least an hour after taking the medication before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications. Food, beverages, and medications can interact with Boniva and prevent it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take Boniva with plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water).
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. Do not lie down within an hour of taking a dose of Boniva. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent the medication from irritating your esophagus.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Boniva will not work if you stop taking it.
- Whether you have difficulty taking oral medications
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.