Osteoporosis Home > Fortical and Insomnia
Side effects are possible with Fortical, and insomnia has been reported in less than 1 percent of people taking the medicine during clinical studies. The best way to treat insomnia is to improve your sleep habits. If you are taking Fortical and insomnia occurs (and does not improve after changing your sleep habits), notify your healthcare provider.
Insomnia is a rare side effect of Fortical® (calcitonin salmon nasal spray). In clinical studies, less than 1 percent of people taking calcitonin salmon (the active ingredient in Fortical) reported having a problem with insomnia.
People with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Non-refreshing sleep.
In some insomnia cases, simply improving your sleep habits can help significantly. Some tips for better sleep include the following:
- Don't eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don't nap later than 3 p.m.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Don't exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime, however, may help you sleep more soundly.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)