Osteoporosis Home > Miacalcin Nasal Spray and Insomnia
It is possible to develop side effects while taking Miacalcin nasal spray. Insomnia is a rare but possible side effect that was reported in less than 1 percent of people during clinical studies. If you are using Miacalcin nasal spray and insomnia occurs, try improving your sleep habits, or your healthcare provider could adjust your dosage or recommend another osteoporosis medication.
Insomnia is a rare side effect of Miacalcin® nasal spray (calcitonin salmon nasal spray). In clinical studies, less than 1 percent of people using the drug reported problems with insomnia.
People with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Non-refreshing sleep.
In some cases, simply improving your sleep habits can help significantly with insomnia. Some tips for better sleep include the following:
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Don't exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime, however, may help you sleep more soundly.
- Don't eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don't nap later than 3 p.m.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)