Osteoporosis Home > Miacalcin Nasal Spray Overdose
At this point, there have been no reported cases of Miacalcin nasal spray overdose. In studies, high doses of the medicine did not cause complications. Low blood calcium may occur when a person takes too much Miacalcin nasal spray. Overdose symptoms that may develop as a result include seizures, irregular heart rhythm, and muscle twitches or spasms.
Miacalcin® nasal spray (calcitonin salmon nasal spray) is an osteoporosis medication approved for use in postmenopausal women. It is a manufactured version of calcitonin, a naturally occurring hormone. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Miacalcin nasal spray. The specific effects of a Miacalcin nasal spray overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Miacalcin nasal spray dosage, how the drug was taken (by nasal spray or by mouth), and whether it was taken with other medications or substances.
There have been no reports of overdose with Miacalcin nasal spray. In studies, high doses of the drug were used without causing any additional problems (other than the usual Miacalcin nasal spray side effects). Studies have shown that a large dose of Miacalcin nasal spray given by injection can cause nausea and vomiting. Based on the way the drug works, it is reasonable to assume that an overdose could cause low blood calcium (hypocalcemia), resulting in the following symptoms:
- Muscle twitches or spasms
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).
Taking a Miacalcin nasal spray overdose by mouth instead of by nasal spray may be less likely to cause problems, as the medication would be inactivated by the digestive system.