Osteoporosis Home > Reclast Overdose
While no cases have been reported, it is possible for a person to take too much Reclast. Overdose effects would likely include low levels of calcium, phosphate, and magnesium in the blood. How much Reclast was taken and if it was combined with other drugs also affect symptoms. Treatment for a Reclast overdose would likely involve treating the symptoms that occurred as a result.
Reclast Overdose: An IntroductionReclast® (zoledronic acid) is a medication used for Paget's disease of the bone and osteoporosis. It is given by IV (intravenously) and is part of a group of medications known as bisphosphonates. The specific effects of a Reclast overdose can vary depending on a number of factors, including the Reclast dosage, how the drug was taken (by injection or by mouth), and whether it was taken with other medications or substances.
Symptoms of a Reclast OverdoseThere have not been any cases of Reclast overdose reported, probably since the dose is given by a healthcare provider. Because of the way the medication works, the following overdose symptoms may be expected:
- Low blood calcium (hypocalcemia)
- Low blood magnesium (hypomagnesemia)
- Low blood phosphate (hypophosphatemia).
Treatment for a Reclast OverdoseThe treatment for a Reclast overdose will also vary. Treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Reclast overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Calcium, magnesium, or phosphate supplementation
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Reclast.