Miacalcin Nasal Spray and Dry Mouth
Certain side effects may occur with the use of Miacalcin nasal spray. Dry mouth appears to be a rare but possible side effect (occurring in less than 1 percent of people). If you are using Miacalcin nasal spray and dry mouth develops, you can try sipping water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding caffeinated drinks, and using a humidifier at night.
Can Miacalcin Nasal Spray Cause Dry Mouth?
Miacalcin® nasal spray (calcitonin salmon nasal spray) has several possible side effects (see Miacalcin Nasal Spray Side Effects). One of these potential side effects is a dry mouth, although it seems to occur only rarely. In clinical studies, less than 1 percent of people taking Miacalcin nasal spray reported having a dry mouth.
Miacalcin Nasal Spray and Dry Mouth: Recommendations
If you experience dry mouth with Miacalcin nasal spray, there are a few things that you can do that may provide relief. Some of these suggestions include:
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier; it may also improve the taste of food.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol because they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods because they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.